Monday, March 19, 2007

I do not like them, Sam I am.




Imagine my surprise to find that I've been essentially feeding my three cats poison. I learned Sunday that there was a recall on some Iams food - which ended up being MY Iams food. The food I've been feeding them since last Thursday. I call the emergency vet (it is after all, Sunday) and I'm told that I should actually NOT wait until Monday to come in, but to bring them in now, for some nice high-priced emergency vet care. So go in, with all three in tow and find out that Squirt is in full-blown acute renal failure, Kuzco and Pacha are also in renal failure, but to a lesser degree. That's what Squirt gets for being a good eater. . .more toxins.

This morning, with three hours of sleep I call to find out their status, they tell me to just come in at 7 because they still need to do another lab draw. I arrive and wait for the results. Squirts kidney numbers are still extremely elevated, and she also has an infection. The urinalysis shows a major hit to her kidneys. She will require 24 hour hospitalization that is only available in the Twin Cities. The other two need to continue IV fluids at my regular vet because the emergency vet clinic closes at 8AM. I tell her that I'm going to take them to Myhrom, in town. She pulls me aside and shows me an article online that states he's been killed in a motor vehicle crash. Honestly, the nicest man I know in Rochester - and such a wonderful vet. I can't even tell you. So the alternative is to take them to a friend's vet in a neighboring town. I drop them there and I'm off to Eden Prairie. Squirt will require 2-3 days of 24 hour hospitalization. Pacha and Kuzco are home now, but Pacha has to go back tomorrow for another day of IV fluids. They'll all be on a renal diet - yes prescription for at least a month, and Squirt may be longer depending on how extensive her damage is.

Basically by the end of this adventure we could've either taken a trip around the world, bought a solid used car just for the fun of it, or put in new flooring on an entire level of our house. Instead we'll have three healthy cats with possibly long-term special diets because of a contamination by a company that supplies meat for 40 feline brands and 50 canine brands, but has "failed to identify any issues with the products in question". Oh and according to them the "number of complaints has been relatively small", they're quoting 10 deaths, which according to the vets I've spoken to today (more than I care to mention), is a complete CROCK. They've had hundreds of deaths, thousands of sick animals, and thousands and thousands of calls. The numbers are sure to rise, because the cats didn't show ANY signs other than some vomit. If I hadn't seen the article I never would've taken them in. Apparently, when they do start acting sick, they're in irreparable kidney failure.

My hope is their is a huge law suit, and I'll be able to get some medical reimbursemnt. So far, the only offer the manufacturer is making is to reimburse you for the food. Gee thanks. Won't matter for us because we'll be eating prescription diet for a while.

My parting words are CHECK YOUR WET FOOD, the earlier you catch this the better. And if you have food that's has a recalled lot number, FREEZE IT in case of a future law suit.


1 comment:

Weidenfartz said...

I am sorry to hear about the cats. that is really terrible. Hope everyone is doing alright.