Sunday, March 11, 2007

How was your weekend?

An oft-asked question on a Monday morning. My first thought is, as long as I wasn't at work, it could not have been that bad. But I'm noticing that the definition of a "nice weekend" has changed a bit over the years. There used to be some task involved, like trying to clean the house. Do the taxes. Maybe even return something to a store that I've been meaning to do for months. Or even accomplish the aforementioned task AND do something "fun". Go out to eat, shop for something frivolous or go to a movie. For the record, I haven't been to a movie in a theater since. . .Cars - (summer 2006)? I suppose that's not as bad as some, but coming from someone, who saw Star Wars Episode I six times IN THE THEATER (yes, the nerd alert alarm is ringing - I'm ok with that) my movie going days have come to a screeching halt. In fact, what is now a "nice weekend" consists of sitting my butt on the couch and watching loads of TV, sprinkled with a little scrapbooking and assorted surfing on the internet box, and a pinch of semi-depression.

I have admittedly never been a real go-getter socially, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what I'm doing with my time these days. I recently sent an email to my manager seeing if it would be possible to reduce my hours per pay period. I'm already at 32 hrs/wk, and I want to go down from that? When did I become such a slug? I have some rationale in my head that consists of "Well exceptional patient care is extremely tiring, I need the time to recover physically and mentally. Although there are people that do the same thing and work more hours than me, I wasn't built to manage that many hours of patient care". Sounds good, right? The alternative rationale is I just don't like to work. Now if you read this blog from its inception, you're probably curious as to why someone who can barely handle 32hrs/wk manages to go to New Orleans? The answer is: I have no idea. It is an enigma to me. I loved that trip, loved the work we did, loved the people I met. Maybe it's because it was temporary and I knew that going into it? These are the questions I intend to get to the bottom of. . .or not, maybe I'll just watch the rest of this movie.

1 comment:

koo' said...

go for it girl. 32 hours a week is shit loads. (that's full time in europe -- and most people are sitting at a freekin desk checking their email all day i.e. doing things you would do during the weekend). 20 hrs sounds plenty to me!

why are you feeling so bad about that?

time over money/career, always